We are happy to welcome you to our campus. We’re glad you are here and want you to know our college offers you almost unlimited educational opportunities and lots of help to make sure you get where you want to go. Now is a great time to consider what you want to do with your life. You need to think about the education and skills you’ll need to get the job you want. You will want to figure out what you need to do to succeed in your classes. What does it take to be a good student? Let’s look at what Tina Seelig, a Stanford Professor, tells her students..(View Video
What do you think about Professor Seelig’s advice? (Give your students an opportunity to respond to the questions and discuss different opinions and experiences.)
- What does that instruction…be fabulous mean to you?
- What would it take to be a fabulous student?
- What would it take to find a fabulous career?
It takes a lot of effort and drive to be or to become a fabulous student. It means dedicating yourself to your education. It means taking the right classes, doing all your work, and getting help when you need it.
Now is the perfect time for you to figure out how to be fabulous. There are several bright ideas about what it takes to succeed. Here is one suggestion from Thomas Edison. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
- How would you interpret that statement?
- What would you have to do to follow this advice?
Distribute Student Activity
, review the directions, give students time to complete the activity.
- Share some of your responses and ask students to share theirs.
- Make a list of things they are going to do as they set out to follow these bright ideas to be fabulous.
You have some terrific ideas and plans to become fabulous students, and I have some good news for you. You do not have to do it alone. In fact, there are many resources on campus where you can get the help you need. To help you learn more about the who and where to go to get the help and support you need, let’s take a look at the kinds of services.
- Distribute CSI Campus Services Activity and review the directions. (There are many ways to do this activity…set it up to work for you.)
- Organize students into small groups and give them 15 minutes to go to their assigned location, get some information and return to the workshop.
- Share information students uncover about the different services.
We know you are going to be successful on our campus. So, before we leave, please tell us what you’re going to do today to become a fabulous student.